Today we will create 8 meals from these 8 pantry must-haves:
- Canned Beans
- A variety of frozen vegetables
- Chicken (canned, frozen, or fresh if you prefer)
- Vegetable Broth
- Canned Diced Tomatoes
Pantry staples come in handy for those who are:
- Traveling with their team and may be unable to keep fresh ingredients on hand.
- Attempting to keep fresh ingredients on hand however they constantly go bad and are thrown away due to schedule, not knowing how to prepare, or not having a plan for these items.
- Busy and/or have an up in the air schedule, leading to last-minute changes in their meal plans.
- Not fond of the grocery store and want to reduce trips!
- Looking to reduce food waste and choose a more environmentally friendly option (fewer trips to the store, less packaging, combined uses for items reducing food waste).
So basically everyone! What can having these 8 staples at home do for you? Each meal uses one or more of the 8 core pantry options for ease of purchase and planning however you may want to PERSONALIZE add in some flavors or items that are even more convenient (i.e. instead of diced tomatoes blended with broth just purchasing pasta or pizza sauce).
For most of the recipes, I have not listed specific amounts. I do this because A) Your plate will change according to what kind of training/game day you have. My portion suggestions may be too much or too little for your needs! And B) Leftovers ALWAYS come in handy! It’s more like cook up these items, create the portion size you need, and add in your own flavor preferences.
Some helpful extras to have on hand might include:
- Teriyaki Sauce
- Salt & Pepper
- Hot Sauce/Sriracha
Feel free to switch it up and add your own flavors. I would love to hear what you come up with!
1)Quick Pasta Primavera
- frozen mixed veggies (like California or Italian blend )
- diced tomatoes
- season as needed
For protein, choose chicken or use bean pasta for a high protein, plant-based option. For more of a sauce, cook and blend diced tomatoes and broth together and add Italian seasoning OR simply use some pasta sauce.
2) Fajita Bowl
- fajita blend frozen vegetables (frozen peppers and onions)
- option chicken or other protein
- sriracha, salsa, or other hot sauce
3) Beans and Rice
Find the amazing recipe here!
4) Vegetable Nourish Bowl
- riced vegetable such as broccoli
- season as needed
5) Pesto Pasta
- frozen peas & carrot blend
For protein, choose chicken or use bean pasta for a high protein, plant-based option.
- frozen California blend vegetables, fajita vegetables, or peas & carrots (or all of them!)
- scrambled egg and/or chicken
- teriyaki sauce
7) Meatball Soup
- pre-cooked frozen meatballs
- pre-cooked rice
- frozen mirepoix blend (a mix of carrots, celery, & onion)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp each salt & pepper
- olive oil
Mix mirepoix, salt, pepper, and olive oil in a pan and cook until thawed & fragrant. Add in broth & meatballs and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes. After 30 minutes or so, add in rice and stir to blend flavors for about five minutes. Top with cheese if desired.
8) Black Bean Soup
- 2- 15 oz. cans of black beans: 1 drained and rinsed, 1 as is (do not drain liquid)
- 1 bag of frozen fajita blend vegetables (or peppers & onions)
- 1 cup of broth
- 1/2-1 tsp garlic salt
- option extra garlic
- avocado and/or cheese
Add all ingredients to a pot and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes. Let cool and blend half or all of your mixture (depending on if you want a smooth soup or some extra texture!). Top with avocado and/or cheese.
What other combo’s can you come up with using the 8 ingredients?